At first glance, the artichoke is a very intimidating vegetable. I can assure you that after some quick preparation, you will feast on something so delicious that you'll quickly forget all about the initial doubt. Artichokes are really fun to eat, who doesn't love a meal that is perfectly acceptable to eat with your hands?! Serve with melted butter and a sprinkle of salt, or prepare a zesty lemon vinaigrette for dipping.
- 1 Artichoke
- Fill the bottom of a large pot with water, and place a steaming basket inside.
- Bring to a boil and sprinkle some salt in the water.
- Place the artichoke in the basket and cover the pot with a lid.
- Reduce to a simmer and steam for approximately 30 minutes.
- The artichoke leaves should come off by gently pulling.
- Eat your way from the outside in by removing each petal one by one, dipping in your desired sauce, and scraping the edible meat off with your teeth.
- When all the petals have been consumed, remove the fuzzy choke with a spoon.
- Finally you are left with the delicious artichoke heart in the centre.