Following the autoimmune protocol means avoiding nightshades. Cutting tomatoes out of your life is no easy task, particularly if you share my love for pasta, pizza, and caprese salad. It's all about finding the best substitute for the foods you love. This recipe is a great alternative to your classic marinara sauce without using any tomatoes! Pour it over some zoodles, layer it in your veggie lasagna, or smear it on a cauliflower pizza.
- 2 Beets
- 6 Carrots
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1½ Cup Water
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Roughly chop the onion and throw into the pan, fry until golden.
- Peel the beets and carrots and chop into sizable chunks.
- Add vegetables to the pan.
- Pour over the water, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Transfer ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth (make sure the sauce is not too hot).
- Serve with some fresh basil.