We have recently reintroduced egg into our diet, and it's really opened up dessert options! With a little patience, meringue is surprisingly easy to pull off, all you need are some eggs, sugar, and an electric mixer. Meringue crust makes a delicious base for desserts such as pavlova or ice cream cake.
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC (215 Fahrenheit).
- Separate your eggs by gently cracking open the shell, allowing the yolk to rest in one of the open halves. Carefully pour the yolk into the other half of the shell, letting the white drip into a bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Continue to whisk, adding the sugar a little at a time until the mixture thickens.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Carefully pour the meringue mixture onto the baking tray, it should spread out into a circular crust.
- Bake in the oven for 1–2 hours until the exterior is crispy.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- This meringue crust makes a delicious dessert base that can be coated with ice cream and fresh berries for a tasty pavlova!