Butternut Avocado Smash
Avocado Smash has quickly become a brunch staple, and you will rarely find a restaurant without it on their menu. The problem for those living with food allergies is that this delicious brunch favourite is typically served on bread. Without the toast, you're just left with a plate of guacamole. Arguably delicious, but not quite as exciting when your friends are all devouring waffles and pancakes around you. In this recipe, we've replaced the slice of bread with Butternut Squash! Super simple to whip up in the morning, and free from the Top 8 allergens.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 Avocados
- ½ Lime
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Slice the neck of the butternut squash into thick discs, you can cube the remainder and fry them up as a side.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Place the discs in the pan and fry for 10 minutes until golden.
- Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Sprinkle the squash with rosemary and salt.
- Meanwhile prepare the smashed avocado.
- Halve the avocados and remove the pits.
- Scoop out the flesh and throw into a small bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice over the avocados.
- Add olive oil, coriander, cayenne, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the ingredients until your desired texture is achieved, I like to leave some chunks in there.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and serve with a dollop of avocado smash!