This recipe is super versatile, as you can choose to stuff your squash with anything your heart desires. Quinoa can easily be substituted for rice, or you can skip the carbs altogether and go crazy with all sorts of colourful vegetables. If you're feeding carnivores consider throwing some grilled chicken into the mix. Pesto is a really nice addition, and if you're making your own, check out our vegan pesto recipe.
- 1 Squash
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Zucchini
- Handful of Mushrooms
- Vegan Pesto
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400 Fahrenheit).
- Slice the squash in half from the neck down, and scoop out the seeds from inside the bulb.
- Place the squash on an oven tray and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before baking for approximately 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the quinoa and prepare the fried vegetables.
- Bring 2 Cups of vegetable broth to boil in a pan.
- Pour in the quinoa and reduce to a simmer.
- Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the zucchini and mushrooms.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Toss the vegetables until golden.
- Drain the quinoa and combine with the fried vegetables.
- Throw in your leaves.
- Add the vegan pesto.
- Remove squash from the oven and scoop the ingredients into the bulb.