Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese
Back in my meat-eating days, spaghetti bolognese was my favourite dish. The other day I felt a sudden craving, so decided to master a vegan version of this hearty meal. With some easy substitutions, you are left with a healthy and delicious sauce that has the flavour of a traditional bolognese.
- 500g Brown Rice Spaghetti
- 1 Cauliflower
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- ½ litre Vegetable Broth
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- Olive Oil
- Bay Leaves
- Bring water to boil in a large pot with a generous amount of salt.
- Pour spaghetti into the water, and add 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, remove lid, and stir occasionally.
- Prepare the bolognese while the spaghetti cooks.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Fry the onion until golden.
- Chop the carrots and add to the pan.
- Meanwhile boil the vegetable broth and reduce to a simmer.
- Break apart the cauliflower head and chop it into small pieces in your food processor.
- Add cauliflower to the frying pan.
- Pour the vegetable broth over the vegetables.
- Throw in a couple of bay leaves, season with spices, and a pinch of salt.
- Allow to simmer for several minutes until most of the water has been cooked out.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.